Your home’s exterior paint is about so much more than aesthetics because the quality of your exterior paint serves as a layer of protection for your home, sealing it up against the harmful effects of hot summer days, ultraviolet rays, moisture which can cause mold or mildew and burrowing bugs which can get into your walls or attic through cracks.
It’s extremely important to maintain that protective layer by keeping your exterior paint, caulking and wood new and up to date.
Exterior paint protects wood and stucco from the elements. Exposed wood rots and exposed stucco fails. Mold and mildew can grow in shady areas, even in Atlanta. High temperatures and intense sunlight damage the exterior of your home every day and will ruin materials not protected by paint.
Here is a list of 10 visible signs that may indicate that your home needs new paint:
- Peeling paint – Paint is peeling when it is lifting off the surface of your home in what looks like strips or flakes. Even if only the top coat is peeling and no wood or stucco is exposed, if you see peeling, it’s time to paint.
- Caulk trouble – Caulk that is separating from surrounding surfaces or that is completely failing is a clear sign that painting needs to be redone.
- Wood rot – If you suspect rot, gently press the suspicious area. If the wood gives at all under the pressure, it is rotten. Replace rotten wood before you paint.
- Alligator texture – Sometimes when paint begins to fail, its surface will start to look like the skin of an alligator. This strange texture is an indication that moisture is beginning to penetrate the paint.
- Bare wood – If you see wood, that is bad news. Get some paint on it before it rots.
- Cracked stucco – As paint begins to fail, you will start to see cracks in stucco, especially around windows and the foundation.
- Mold and mildew – Mold and mildew are not necessarily reasons to repaint. But these stains require special cleaning, that, after a while, can wear out the underlying paint. If you have spots on your home that require regular mildew removal, the chances are pretty good that those same spots will experience paint failure.
- Chalking – Worn paint can often take on a chalky hue and will feel like chalk dust under your hand. Chalking paint needs to be replaced.
- Fading – Paint only starts to fade when it begins to fail. When you see fading, you will know it is time to repaint.
- Outdated color – Some paint colors do not stand the test of time. You can improve the curb appeal and value of your home by giving it a fresh coat of paint in an updated color.
If you see any of these signs of paint failure, it’s time to call an exterior painting service in Alpharetta, Cumming or Atlanta and also be sure to Call Earthly Matters Painting for a free quote on exterior paining at 770-346-0203.
Our experienced professionals are experienced in spotting problem areas with old paint or caulking and will help you understand why your paint has failed and what needs to be done to get it into top-notch shape once again. And remember, the cost of painting can sometimes seem high, but the cost of not painting is astronomical.